Monday, September 15, 2008

It's GOOD to be HOME!!




So I am finally back after 24 hrs of traveling yesterday.  It started with a flight from Brazil to Washington D.C. at 9PM Saturday night and ended with a flight from LAX to SLC at 540 PM Sunday night.  I don't know if any of you have ever flown standby but it is VERY stressful!!! Nothing is guaranteed.  You never know if your gonna get on the flight until the last minute and if you don't make it then all of your plans are screwed.  We encountered this when we were trying to get to Sao Paulo. We were trying for a flight that had over 100 open seats so we weren't nervous at all about making the flight.  We were soooo wrong.  Apparently because there wasn't many passengers on the plane they decided to put a bunch of cargo on instead and so they put a weight restriction on the flight and we didn't get on.  It was a blessing in disguise though because then we were able to spend the night in a comfy bed at the Marriott and do some sightseeing the next day.  Thankfully were able to get on the flights we really needed to like the one from Brazil back to the US.  Everything else we just had to make it work and improvise a little.  Our plans were to go through Denver and arrive in Utah at 130 PM but ended having to stop in LA instead and got home at 830 PM.  Needless to say even though getting to and from Brazil was a stressful nightmare it was totally worth it and I'd do it again........just not anytime soon!!!  I had a wonderful time in Brazil and it was such an eye opening experience.  I will always remember the people I met and how gracious and kind they were.  Even though didn't have a lot they still offered us what they had.  Now that I am done venting about traveling I will get to work on posting some of my pictures so you can see how crazy Brazil is.  I give you props Jess for living there for 18 months.  I don't think I would have survived.    

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WeLcOmE BaCk!! I can't wait to see all your pictures and hear about your trip.

Smiley0709 said...

Oh girl... I feel your stand by pain.. It's the worst feeling waiting, worrying and wondering!! Yuck! But, it's awesome when you finally get back and know you went somewhere cool for really cheap.. :) No matter if it took you 5 days to get there and 5 to get back ;) Can't wait to see pics. I've always wanted to go there to see what it's all about.. Lucky duck!

Ashley ;o) said...

YES... standby is one of the most stressful things ever!!! And it sounds like you had a standby experience for the books! ;o) But hey... I'd have to say that Brazil is probably way worth it eh??? ;o) And where are those pics you promised!?! I've been slacking too so I can't really say anything... but I want to see them! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Shelly check out my blog I have an award for you

Brookie said...

shelly, you need to update your blog!!:)