Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Run Forest Run!!


Today I decided to start exercising again.  Last weekend Jodi and I ran to her car after the movies because we were cold and I got a side ache!! If that's not a sign to start working out I don't know what is. The only problem with working out is I am lazy and I HATE it....especially running.  My hatred for running goes back to even my elementary days.  When I was in the 4th grade we were supposed to run a mile for the presidential physical fitness award.  I always dreaded the running part so this particular year Jessica and I figured out a way to get out of it.  The teachers would  track how many laps we had run by how many strips of construction paper we had....I think 4 strips was one mile or something.  As the class started their run around the track me and Jessica sneaked off and went up to the classrooms and cut ourselves 4 strips of paper.  We hung out until the other students started finishing.  Once the first couple of people were done we wormed our way back down to the track and crossed the finish line like we had been out there the whole time.  This was only the beginning of me lying my way out of running.  Flash forward to the winter of my seventh grade.  My soccer team was getting ready to play in a tournament in Tucson, AZ.  Because we live in Utah there wasn't really anywhere to run outside.  My coach's solution was to have us run inside of the Dee Event Center.  A couple times a week he would have us run laps.  By the second day I was sick of it....I mean I was the goalie anyways so why did I have to run? Instead of complaining to my coach me and my friend Ashly just decided to go into the basketball court and sit in the stands and talk.  This worked great for awhile we would sit for a little then pop out and run a couple feet and go back inside.  We almost got busted once by our coach but we quickly got up and made him think we were running stairs....yeah right.  Needless to say I still don't like running and I am trying to change that.  I took my first babysteps today by running on the treadmill.  After day one I ran/walked one whole mile in a little under 20 min. (pathetic I know).  I will keep you posted on my progress and if I am able to keep it up.  One of my eventual goals in life would to run a marathon because it would be a major challenge for me and I think it would build character.    

7 comments:

Heather said...

Shelly, I am proud of you, how long will this last? you should set a goal to run a five 5k. Like the Roy days 5k. I will be there to support you!

Jen Gentry said...

I think you should prove me wrong but I think you are just like me and will do good for a week or so and then quit and have some lame excuse. I am famous for that.

Ashley ;o) said...

I feel ya on this one Shelly... I HATE running! My mom and sister run all the time... but there is nothing they could possibly do to get me to go! ;o) Hey... you should come with me to Nat's spin class sometime. It's seriously fun and Nat plays REALLY good music... like... KANYE!! ;o) WOO HOO!!

Laura said...

Great job Shelly! Hang in there.
I'll text you next week and we can get together and play the WII.

Anonymous said...

Good job Shelly, I'll check with ya next week to see how it's goin!

Jodi said...

I think it must be time to go back to the track! You can run by yourself though I have Dr. orders that say I shouldn't!!! I love Dr Pleacher. Except that he ordered that MRI I have to pay a thousnad dollars for!

The Tribe Family said...

Shelly!!! Cute blog glad you joined!! This is Rachel Kimball(tribe) thought I would say HI!!!
You and your friends look like you did in Highschool still!! Whats the secret?? lol.. http://tribefamily.blogspot.com/